As the summer months draw ever closer, warm temperatures begin to make their presence known. Residents in Arizona know that the heat can be hard to beat, especially from June to August when high temperatures can exceed 105F with regularity! While we wouldn’t trade the sunshine and warm weather for the world, there are a few things that homeowners can do to prep their house for the summer.
Let’s take a moment to outline a bunch of fun ways that you can stay cool, beat the heat, and save on your utility bills along the way.
How to Add Shade to Your Building
While it is important to work on the interior of your home to prevent heat loss and cooling leaks, you can make your life easier by adding shade to the exterior of your building. There are plenty of great ways that we can diffuse sunlight and offset heat exposure by adding decorations, natural elements, and even a few neat decor items to our property.
- Install Shade Trees – Start smart by installing shade trees in the areas surrounding your property. Phoenix does great with trees like the Palo Verde and the Velvet Mesquite. These trees look great, grow over 30 feet tall, and can live for 100+ years. Pay attention to potential allergens before selecting a tree to prevent future issues down the line.
- Buy Shade Screens – Did you know that you could install shade screens on your window to cut down on energy expenses? It’s true! Shade screens are applied directly to your current windows where they act as diffusers, stripping away up to 25% of cooling expenses.
- Add a Microclimate – Consider planting a cool microclimate around your property. Landscaping can have a huge impact on the temperature of your building, so consider adding desert-adapted trees as well as plants near windows and walls to lend their support.
- Install Porch Awnings – Awnings over your porch and windows can go a long way toward keeping the heat away from your home. Awnings look great, add actionable coverage, and will leave you feeling cool.
Adding extra shade elements to your backyard can help keep your property comfortable, your home cool, and your guests entertained.
How to Keep Your Home Cool
Now that we are done working on the exterior of our home, let’s shift attention to the interior of the property. There are plenty of ways that we can approach keeping our homes cool this summer by making small, affordable adjustments. Let’s take a moment to highlight a few of our favorite simple cooling tricks.
- Raise the Thermostat – Did you know that you can offset energy expenses by up to 3% when you raise your thermostat a single degree? Changing the thermostat from 78 to 80 when you are home will save a ton of money, so consider raising the temp even more if you know you will be out of the house for a while.
- Check Your Filters – Air conditioning units thrive on efficiency to save you money. When was the last time that you changed or had your air filtration system cleaned? Regularly cleaning and changing your air filters will allow your AC to operate efficiently, cooling you quicker while saving money along the way.
- Service Your A/C – When was the last time that you had your HVAC system properly serviced by a heating and cooling professional? Scheduling regular tune-ups to make sure your HVAC system is operating smoothly can save you time and money while also preventing potentially major repairs from manifesting.
- Energy Efficient Upgrades – Homeowners looking to solve energy problems today and in the future can look to energy-efficient HVAC upgrades. EnergyStar-rated products ensure efficient cooling at minimum energy expenditure.
There are a ton of fantastic ways to explore cooling your home more efficiently and affordably. For a more thorough understanding of the ways that your home can be improved upon, consider contacting the team at One Stop Heating & Cooling for a free estimate and consultation.
Save on Utilities With One Stop Heating & Cooling
One Stop Heating & Cooling is a family-owned and operated business based out of the great state of Arizona. An advocate for the community, One Stop works diligently to supply honest, ethical, and affordable services to the good folks of Phoenix, Glendale, Scottsdale, Sun City, and the surrounding areas.
Clients who trust One Stop Heating & Cooling with their heating and AC services will enjoy a wide range of benefits.
- 24/7 Emergency Services
- Free Estimates & Consultations
- Residential & Commercial Services
- Air & Heating Repairs
- Flexible Financing For Approved Clients
One Stop Heating & Cooling understands how important it is to treat your air and heating systems with respect and quality workmanship. Contact the team today at One Stop to schedule a free estimate at your convenience.